Hi everyone 🙂
As you might be aware, a few weeks ago I released my The Ingenious Tote pattern. Its a great bag, which has the possibility of being made reversible – yep 2 bags in 1! The pattern comes instuctions to make 2 different styles of straps – “non reversible” and “reversible”.
Today I’m going to show you how to make a 2 tone version of your reversible strap!
Ok…so do you want to make your own? Yes?! Read on my friend!
Now, let’s get sewing!
1. Start by sewing the short ends of your 10″ pieces to either (short) end of the 20″ piece using a 1/2″ seam allowance. What you should have after completeing this step is shown below…
You will now have one 40″ long strip.
2. Apply your Medium Weight Fusible Interfacing to the wrong side of your 40″ fabric strip.
3. Fold 40″ fabric strip in half lengthwise and press. Unfold.
4. Fold the (long) bottom raw edge up to the centre crease line and press.
6. Slip the 1” x 40” (2.5cm x 101.5cm) strip of fusible fleece into place, it should be centred on the flat section between the pressed seam allowances (see picture) and fuse in place.
NOTE: I like to press, (when fusing the fleece), on the right side of the fabric – this also helps to remove the centre pressed line that you no longer need.
7. At both seam joins, topstitch your seam allowance down. The stitching should stretch for a length of 1 1⁄4” on each side of the seam join. Remember to repeat for the remaining seam join.
8. Slip 2 of your rectangular/oval rings onto the strap.
10. Press the short seam allowance out. Then repress the long edge seam allowances into place.
15. Sew your hardware in place, you should try to sew as close to your hardware as possible – you might like to change to a zipper foot for this.