It’s been a few weeks since I shared a tutorial…so I thought you might enjoy this quick one on how to install Large Eyelets in your Hippo Hobo 😉 The Eyelets replace the Handle tabs and Triangle rings in the pattern, and you install the Eyelets once you have completed the bag.
Your Handle will be able to attach to your bag though the Eyelets as shown here…
So without further ado…let’t get started 🙂
The parts of your eyelet and the tools you will need to set the eyelet are pictured below so you can familiarise yourself with them.
1. Flatten the bag so that you can see the side seams easier. Place the eyelet top 1/2″ (1.2cm) from the top edge of your bag.
2. Trace around the INSIDE of the Eyelet with an erasable marker.
3. Using a leather punch or some sharp scissors, remove the fabric (both external and lining) and interfacing from within the marked circle.
4. Apply fray stop to the edges of the fabric.
5. On the EXTERNAL side of the bag, place the raised section of the eyelet top through the hole you made in step 3. Turn the bag over so you can see the LINING and raised section of the eyelet though the hole. Place the washer over the raised section and hold in place.
6. Holding the eyelet top together with the washer, lift the bag over the anvil, and place the eyelet top onto it. Then using the setter, place it on top of the washer on the lining side of the bag. Make a few gentle but firm taps with your hammer – ensuring that your setter remains straight the whole time (this will ensure that the eyelet is set evenly and correctly).
Your eyelet is now installed! Below you will see what the front and back of mine look like…perfect hey!
Then clip your handle in place and your good to go!
I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial on how to install large eyelets on your Hippo Hobo
If you do use this tutorial to install large eyelets on your Hippo Hobo feel free to use the tag #tutorialsbyemkie
I would love to stay in touch with you, so please sign up for my newsletter here.