Mystery “Bag” Challenge: Maria who is @maria_filalagulla on Instagram
Welcome to the 6th big reveal! I am so excited to share with you Maria’s (who is @maria_filalagulla on Instagram) Mystery “Bag” Challenge creation today 🙂
So without further ado…over to you Maria!
Hola! My name is Maria and I live in Mallorca (Spain). I work full time as a high school teacher and have two kids. I love, love, love sewing. Anything. Well, except mending, of course… I started sewing when my daughter was a baby and haven’t stopped since then. Sewing is in my mind all the time.
Let’s get to know Maria a little bit more before we have a look at her amazing creation 😉
1. Describe yourself in 5 words…
I’m a momma, teacher and crazy for sewing girl. All in one.
2. Tell us something not many people would know about you…
I hate fusing interfacing, so I’m ashamed to admit I skip it every once I can..
3. How long have you been sewing?
I’ve been sewing for over 8 years now. It all started as a need to create something for my daughter when she was a baby. I fact, my first ever sewing project was a bag to carry all her belongings to the kindergarten.
4. Is sewing the only craft you spend time enjoying? If not, what other crafts help you pass the time?
I’ve always been a crafty person, but sewing is by far the most fulfilling craft I’ve ever done. I also enjoy scrapbooking with my daughter.
5. Do you only make bags? If not, what else do you enjoy making?
I also sew clothing mostly for my daughter and for me, although I also sew for my husband and son occasionally.
6. What made you fall in love with making bags?
The fact of making something useful and in the exact shape and fabric I want.
7. What was your favourite item in the mystery bag challenge list? Did you use it in your entry? If not, why?
Beads. I didn’t use them in my design as I don’t have the patience required to sew them one by one. I’m an instant gratification kind of girl…
8. Have you got any exciting things coming up that you think would interest us? We would love to support you if you do!
I’d like to start blogging again, but the truth is I don’t think I can find the time to do it again, I rather prefer sewing, lol
9. Which category did you decide to enter the Mystery “Bag” Challenge in? Why did you chose this category?
I chose category #3 : create a free tutorial. I learnt to sew following many wonderful tutorials written by so generous sewers thus, I wanted to make my modest contribution in return.
10. What is your favourite thing about your entry into the challenge?
The piping in the lining. I love secret details.
11. What did you enjoy most about the challenge?
The challenge of bringing an idea in my head into reality. I mean, thinking of all the pieces, the measurements, the notions, materials… it’s not a simple task. I really admire all the talented pattern designers. Bringing a pattern to light is a really hard and difficult job.
I’m so honoured to be here today! It was super fun playing to be a designer and wanted to share the fun with you too so I’ll show you how to make the bag I designed for the Mystery Bag Challenge.
First let me talk you about the bag. I got inspired on the wonderful Break the rules wristlet By Emkie Designs, which, let me tell you in case you haven’t tried it yet is very fun and easy to make, so this is why I copied (with her permission) Emma’s design name for my bag.
I wanted to create the same V shape effect but wanted to try a different technique for it. The Break the Rules Tote is a simple tote that includes two zipper pockets on the front, D-rings on the top sides to attach an optional longer adjustable strap so you can carry the bag on your side, and what I like best: a sturdy bottom that allows the bag to stand on its own.
I also included some piping in the lining, a magnetic snap and a little bit of ribbon.