The Hippo Hobo pattern is a great, medium sized bag; it has a large opening that looks like a
hippopotamus’ mouth, which is how it got it’s name. This hobo has plenty of room within; it also features a secret pocket, an internal zip pocket, and a rear external zip pocket.
The Hippo Hobo’s features:
– 3 x large zip pockets (one is hidden)
– large main space for all your essentials
– a cute loop and swivel closure
The finished size of The Hippo Hobo measures approximately 13” tall x 15½” wide x 3” deep (33cm x 39.5cm x 7.5cm); this does not include the drop of the handle. This hobo has been designed to be made using leather accents, however, faux leather or fabric can be used instead – instructions have been included to make your hobo from these too.
For more photos of bags made using this pattern please see this blog post.
• Skill level: Confident Beginner
• Please read all directions before beginning.
• The seam allowance is 3/8” (1cm) unless otherwise stated, and has been included in the
• Be sure to backstitch at the beginning and end of all stitching unless otherwise stated.
• All pattern pieces are included on the pages after the instructions. The remaining pieces should
be cut to the measurements provided in the cutting guide (page 4).
• Important things to note when working with leather.
◦ Never use pins, be sure to use clips instead.
◦ Be sure to use a leather needle.
◦ Be sure to use 100% polyester thread (I like to use topstitching thread).
◦ Be sure to use a walking foot, roller foot or teflon foot on your sewing machine.
◦ Lengthen your stitch length when topstitching, it ensures a neater more professional look.
• Extra important things to note when working with faux leather, the above leather tips
should be adhered to, plus…
◦ Be sure to use low heat and pressing cloth if fusing to faux leather.