Welcome to the 5th big reveal! I am so excited to share with you Mel from Love ME Patterns Mystery “Bag” Challenge creation today 🙂
So without further ado…over to the creator & owner of Love ME Patterns!
Hi! My name is Mel Euhus, and I’m an army wife, mum and step mum to 6 kids. I’ve been sewing bags for about 3.5 years, making custom orders (not just bags) with Buntings & Things, and have recently started to design my own patterns as well at Love M.E. Patterns.
I have 2 Facebook pages, one for my making business and one for my patterns!
Buntings and things – www.facebook.com/buntingsandthings
Love ME Patterns – www.facebook.com/lovemepatterns
Let’s get to know Mel a little bit more before we have a look at her amazing creation 😉
- Describe yourself in 5 words… Friendly, Creative, Loyal, Helpful, Charitable.
- Tell us something not many people would know about you… I used to sing in a band.
- How long have you been sewing? I started sewing VERY basic things 5 years ago, but sewed my first wallet/purse 4 years ago, and first bag 3.5 years ago.
- Is sewing the only craft you spend time enjoying? If not, what other crafts help you pass the time? Mostly sewing, yes. I have dabbled in many other crafts over the years, but most recently vinyl decal cutting using my Scan ‘n Cut.
- Do you only make bags? If not, what else do you enjoy making? I make pretty much anything except clothes! Buntings, cushion covers, toiletry bags, bucket hats, pencil cases, raggie quilts, pram liners….I’m willing to try anything with woven fabrics!
- What made you fall in love with making bags? I fell in love with bag making when I discovered I could make a practical item that I could actually use every day. I love the variety of designs available, and how the same design can look completely different just by making it in new fabrics. I’m not much of a girly girl, not into shoes, but I have always loved bags….now my bag options are endless!
- What was your favourite item in the mystery bag challenge list? Did you use it in your entry? If not, why? I loved that beads were on the list, as they’re not as commonly used as the other items. I chose to use them in my entry to add a bit of charm!
- Have you got any exciting things coming up that you think would interest us? We would love to support you if you do! I’m very excited about the release of this pattern, it’s something I’ve wanted to do for a while. I’m hoping it’s received well!
- Which category did you decide to enter the Mystery “Bag” Challenge in? Why did you chose this category? I chose Category 1, to design a bag. I was lucky in that I already had a design idea in mind, and I was able to incorporate the hardware/notion requirements into it for my entry.
- What is your favourite thing about your entry into the challenge? I’ve searched google, pinterest, craftsy and etsy, and couldn’t find anything like my design, so I love that it’s totally unique, and the theme of it seems to be something people have been wanting to be designed in a sewing pattern.
- What did you enjoy most about the challenge? I loved the concept, the challenge of working around a restricted list of supplies, it really made me think outside the box! Also, being in the company of the other entrants and seeing the support offered to each other. I have admired their work and it was an honour to be included amongst such talent!
Let’s take a look at Mel’s amazing creation in more detail…(oh and if you want a little recap on what the challenge was and what items were on the mystery list, just click here!)
The “Party Wine Tote”
I decided to create my own original design for this challenge. I’ve had the idea in my head ever since Emmaline Bag released their oval bag handle grommets, and this challenge finally gave me the push to get it done!
The bag has the ability to carry 2 bottles of wine, and room in the centre for a glass. The interior also features a key hook, a slip pocket for your phone, a zip pocket for any cash, and 3 card slots for your ID or cash cards. Space to take all the essentials you might need to go to a party, all in one bag. It is insulated to keep your bottles cool, and also has 2 removable dividers to customise the space inside as you need it.
As an added bonus, you have the optional “tap gap” in the gusset, which provides an opening for you to keep a cask wine bladder inside (remove 1 divider), poke the tap through the lining to the outside for easy access!
The exterior features my 3 mystery items.
- The grommet in the oval handle, for carrying the bag.
- D-rings attach to the fun wine glass-shaped strap tabs, to connect the shoulder strap.
- Beads around the base of the wine glass strap tabs, to create cute wine charms!
The Party Wine Tote is very comfortable to carry, as with 2 bottles of wine in there it hugs around your hips nicely. I’ve included bonus instructions for a glass case to protect your glass against clanging keys, and a coaster for the base of your glass so you know which is yours at the party!
I hope everyone loves it as much as I do!
Where can you purchase this amazing pattern? Right here in the Love ME Patterns shop!
Isn’t Mel’s creation amazingly ingenious! I bet you can hardly wait to see the next creation revealed in a few days time 😉
Until then, happy sewing!