Welcome to the 9th big reveal! I am so excited to share with you Melisa from Melisa Jane’s Mystery “Bag” Challenge creation today 🙂
So without further ado…over to the creator & owner of Melisa Jane!
Loyal, perfectionist, generous, introvert, mum
2. Tell us something not many people would know about you…
I love computer games! When a new game is released from a favourite developer, I am almost as excited as a new pattern release from my favourite sewing designers
3. How long have you been sewing?
I’ve been sewing since high school (25 years) but only really got back into it seriously after my second son was born in 2010.
4. Is sewing the only craft you spend time enjoying? If not, what other crafts help you pass the time?
Yes I’d say sewing is my only craft. I tried scrapbooking once and it drove me nuts!
5. Do you only make bags? If not, what else do you enjoy making?
I make what my customers want me to make. So primarily yes its bags and clutches. I do make clothing occasionally, particularly vests, but am open to all sorts of making!
6. What made you fall in love with making bags?
I sort of just fell into it. I made a couple of bags for myself and my mum (which were terrible!!) but i had a couple that people thought looked good, and then i just kept being asked to make more. When I started my business there were practically no handmade bags for sale! So I did get a good niche happening early on.
7. What was your favourite item in the mystery bag challenge list? Did you use it in your entry? If not, why?
My favourite on the list would be piping cord. I did use it to make leather piping for the edges of my clutch.
8. Have you got any exciting things coming up that you think would interest us? We would love to support you if you do!
Not at the moment, but who knows what is around the corner!
9. Which category did you decide to enter the Mystery “Bag” Challenge in? Why did you chose this category?
I chose category 1- to design an original bag pattern. I chose it to push myself (as I am NOT a designer) I will be leaving that to the experts in the future though!
10. What is your favourite thing about your entry into the challenge?
I like the piping on the edges which I did in a blingy silver leather.
11. What did you enjoy most about the challenge?
Interacting with the other participants
Let’s have a look at Melisa’s amazing creation…(oh and if you want a little recap on what the challenge was and what items were on the mystery list, just click here!)
Modelled by Jo
I decided to create my own original design for this challenge. I wanted to do something simple and easy but still classy as I am by no means a designer!
The clutch/bag is a great size for a night out and features a beautiful lace overlay along the flap and closes with a half moon magnet clasp. It has a single interior zip pocket also.
The 3 mystery items. I used are:
- D-rings– 2 x 1/2 “ d-rings were used to anchor the detachable strap
- Metal Chain – a removable metal chain was used so that it could be used as either a clutch or a shoulder bag
- Piping cord– I used piping cord to make some silver leather piping to accent the sides of the clutch.
Modelled by Jo
Isn’t Melisa’s creation amazing! I bet you can hardly wait to see the next one be revealed in a few days time 😉
Until then, happy sewing!